Welcome to my worlds!

I'm James Maxey, author of fantasy and science fiction. My novels include the science fantasy Bitterwood Saga (4 books) the Dragon Apocalypse Saga (4 books), numerous superhero novels including Nobody Gets the Girl and the Lawless series, the steampunk Oz sequel Bad Wizard, and my short story collections, There is No Wheel and Jagged Gate. This website is focused exclusively on writing. At my second blog, Jawbone of an Ass, I ramble through any random topic that springs to mind, occasionally touching on religion and politics and other subjects polite people are sensible enough not to discuss in public. If you'd like to get monthly updates on new releases, as well as preview chapters and free short stories, join my newsletter!




Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Big Ape, V2, Complete! Beta readers needed!

Woohoo! I just finished the second draft of Big Ape!

If I may offer a completely unbiased opinion, this book absolutely rocks. It's got robotic dinosaurs, a hidden city in the jungle, mystery, romance, humor, over the top fight scenes, and, of course, in the middle of it all, a really big ape named Harry Moreau.

The overall plot kicks off from a fairly standard place: Harry gets framed for a murder he didn't commit and spends the rest of the book one step ahead of the superheroes hunting him down. I would say he spends most of the book trying to prove his innocence, but he actually spend most of the book trying to prevent the death of all humanity at the hands of a pair of genius supervillains. It's also a coming of age tale, as Harry starts the book as a confused young man-ape and ends the book as a confused young man-ape, but now he's confused about different things. Character arc achieved!

I'll be plunging into a third draft soon. If anyone is interested in reading chapters as I crank them out and offering feedback, just email me at nobodynovelwriter (at) yahoo.com. A free signed copy of the print edition will go out to anyone interested in reading this draft!

Thanks,
James




No comments: