Welcome to my worlds!

I'm James Maxey, author of fantasy and science fiction. My novels include the science fantasy Bitterwood Saga (4 books) the Dragon Apocalypse Saga (4 books), numerous superhero novels including Nobody Gets the Girl and the Lawless series, the steampunk Oz sequel Bad Wizard, and my short story collections, There is No Wheel and Jagged Gate. This website is focused exclusively on writing. At my second blog, Jawbone of an Ass, I ramble through any random topic that springs to mind, occasionally touching on religion and politics and other subjects polite people are sensible enough not to discuss in public. If you'd like to get monthly updates on new releases, as well as preview chapters and free short stories, join my newsletter!




Friday, August 5, 2011

Hush, Second Draft, is Complete!

Well, the headline pretty much says it all. I just finished sending out the final chapters of the second draft of Hush. This draft weighs in at 103,121 words. It's likely to get longer; I've rounded out a lot of the characters in my mind during this draft and future drafts will reflect the additional backstories.

Before I start the third draft of Hush, I'm going to work on yet another book, the long-awaited sequal to Nobody Gets the Girl, tentatively titled Burn Baby Burn. Obviously, since I have a November deadline to turn in Hush, I can't take long to work on Burn Baby Burn. Which is why I'm intending to write an entire first draft in only a week, starting 7am Monday and finishing my midnight the following Sunday.

Burn Baby Burn isn't an epic. It's a short and sweet action novel about two supervillians out to destroy the world. I'm anticipating it being only 60k words long. If I write 10k words a day for six days, I'm golden.

I'll post progress reports here once I start. Stay tuned!

No comments: