Welcome to my worlds!

I'm James Maxey, author of fantasy and science fiction. My novels include the science fantasy Bitterwood Saga (4 books) the Dragon Apocalypse Saga (4 books), numerous superhero novels including Nobody Gets the Girl and the Lawless series, the steampunk Oz sequel Bad Wizard, and my short story collections, There is No Wheel and Jagged Gate. This website is focused exclusively on writing. At my second blog, Jawbone of an Ass, I ramble through any random topic that springs to mind, occasionally touching on religion and politics and other subjects polite people are sensible enough not to discuss in public. If you'd like to get monthly updates on new releases, as well as preview chapters and free short stories, join my newsletter!




Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Evolution of a Cover


This summer I have a story coming out in an anthology called Masked, edited by Lou Anders. The cover design is by Richard Yoo, and he's just posted an essay showing the various drafts of the cover, which I thought was an interesting glimpse into the publishing process. I'll be talking more about Masked as the publication date draws closer. I'm really excited about being in this anthology. A lot of previous superhero anthologies have missed the mark, coming off as ironic critiques of superheroes rather than enthusiastic celebrations of them. This time, Lou took the trouble to solicit stories from people who actually liked superheroes, and I think the quality and tone of the whole anthology are going to produce a lot of five star reviews on Amazon (and, hopefully, a lot of sales). More news soon!

4 comments:

Lou Anders said...

We should clarify. Richard Yoo (not Woo) is the designer. He did the typography/layout. The artwork is by Trevor Hairsine, who is well known as an artist on many titles for both 2000 AD and Marvel comics.

James Maxey said...

Thanks for that info, Lou. This is what I get for rushing out a post a half hour before I'm supposed to be at work. I'm really thrilled with the final cover, by the way. It's lucky that the cover design adapted so easily to the new title. That definitely wouldn't have been true of some of the early designs.

TheyStoleFrazier'sBrain said...

Is this the story from the Halloween contest (which I loved) or something new?

James Maxey said...

Frazier, this is indeed the story from the Halloween contest. Glad you liked it!