Welcome to my worlds!

I'm James Maxey, author of fantasy and science fiction. My novels include the science fantasy Bitterwood Saga (4 books) the Dragon Apocalypse Saga (4 books), numerous superhero novels including Nobody Gets the Girl and the Lawless series, the steampunk Oz sequel Bad Wizard, and my short story collections, There is No Wheel and Jagged Gate. This website is focused exclusively on writing. At my second blog, Jawbone of an Ass, I ramble through any random topic that springs to mind, occasionally touching on religion and politics and other subjects polite people are sensible enough not to discuss in public. If you'd like to get monthly updates on new releases, as well as preview chapters and free short stories, join my newsletter!




Wednesday, May 8, 2013

New Writing Class: The Rewrite: May 18, 10am, Orange County Library

On May 18, I'll be teaching my latest writing class at the Orange County Library in Hillsborough. This time my topic is rewriting. It's the toughest subject I've yet tackled, because every rewrite is going be different for every author. Still, I want to tackle it, because rewriting is where the real craft of writing comes into play. I think I've identified three at least three major areas that most rewrites should focus on, Flow, Focus, and Filters.

From the flier:

The Rewrite: Behind every great book is a great rewrite. The first draft throws raw clay upon the wheel, but later drafts spin this clay into a pot, coat it with glaze, and fire it, producing art. While every writer faces unique challenges in rewrites, in the course of bringing 10 novels to publication James Maxey has learned a thing or two about second, third, and even sixth drafts. He'll share tips, tricks, and excercises on how to take your original manuscript and turn it into a product ready to show readers.

If you're interested in joining this free class, call 919-245-3536 or register online at www.bt.ly/may18revise

2 comments:

Emily Cooper said...

Just wanted to let you know there is a typo in your link!

It should be:
http://bit.ly/may18revise

Thanks!


I am inviting two of my Meetup groups to this tomorrow. :)

James Maxey said...

Oops! Thanks for the catch! See you tomorrow!