Welcome to my worlds!

I'm James Maxey, author of fantasy and science fiction. My novels include the science fantasy Bitterwood Saga (4 books) the Dragon Apocalypse Saga (4 books), numerous superhero novels including Nobody Gets the Girl and the Lawless series, the steampunk Oz sequel Bad Wizard, and my short story collections, There is No Wheel and Jagged Gate. This website is focused exclusively on writing. At my second blog, Jawbone of an Ass, I ramble through any random topic that springs to mind, occasionally touching on religion and politics and other subjects polite people are sensible enough not to discuss in public. If you'd like to get monthly updates on new releases, as well as preview chapters and free short stories, join my newsletter!




Monday, October 22, 2012

How to Write Fast -- Class this Weekend!

 
This Saturday I'll be teaching a class at the Orange County Library in Hillsborough from 10:30am to Noon. The class is called "How to Write Fast: Tips and Tricks for Blasting through Writer's Block and Jamming Out 10,000+ Words a Week." The subtitle kind of sums up the whole point of the class. I figured with National Novel Writing Month upon us, a lot of writers are going to make the attempt to complete a novel in November. As someone who has made it through a first draft of a novel in a week, I know that a novel in a month is a completely achievable goal, though I also recognize that writing that fast can quickly lead to a point of diminishing returns. 10,000 words a week has so far proven to be a good rate for me, a fast enough pace that I don't lose momentum, but not so insane that it takes all the joy out of writing.
 
I'll post some of my tips and tricks here in the next few days. If you live near the Triangle and are interested in coming to the class, it's free and open to all comers. We prefer preregistration, but the room I teach in at the library is spacious enough to accommodate a pretty large group. You can preregister by following this link. It's not just a good class, it's also a great way of meeting other writer's in training in the area and forming connections. Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back. (I did mention it was free, right?)

No comments: