Welcome to my worlds!

I'm James Maxey, author of fantasy and science fiction. My novels include the science fantasy Bitterwood Saga (4 books) the Dragon Apocalypse Saga (4 books), numerous superhero novels including Nobody Gets the Girl and the Lawless series, the steampunk Oz sequel Bad Wizard, and my short story collections, There is No Wheel and Jagged Gate. This website is focused exclusively on writing. At my second blog, Jawbone of an Ass, I ramble through any random topic that springs to mind, occasionally touching on religion and politics and other subjects polite people are sensible enough not to discuss in public. If you'd like to get monthly updates on new releases, as well as preview chapters and free short stories, join my newsletter!




Sunday, October 2, 2011

Hush update, plus Link-O-Rama!

I just finished the third draft of Hush! It's now 104,500 words long, not much longer than the second draft, but that's because I chopped the old final chapter, which really was more of the first chapter of the next book in the series, Sorrow. I decided that the old last chapter didn't sufficiently focus on the core characters of Stagger and Infidel, and I now end the novel as Stagger's story comes to an end.

Next step: Ignore the book for a week, then launch into draft #4, which is where I really start focusing on polishing the style. I'm happy with the current shape of the story and doubt I'll be tinkering with it much further. There's a few more dangling threads than I'd normally leave in a book, but since this is part of a larger series I'm hoping these threads are tipped with effective hooks. Gotta sell that next book, after all.

While I've been hunkered down typing, the great interweb has continued to spin. I have for your clicking pleasure a variety of links.

First, I'm teaching a class this coming Saturday, October 8, at the Orange County Library in Hillsborough called "How to Get Past the First Chapter and Finish Your Novel." Details may be found here.

Second, Alethea Kontis with IGMS has just posted a review of There Is No Wheel.

And, speaking of IGMS, did you know that all back issues are now available as kindle downloads on Amazon? I'm not going to link to all 24 issues, but if you're a fan of good SF and Fantasy, it's definitely worth checking out.

Finally, check out the two most recent "The Future and You" podcasts from Stephen Euin Cobb. These two episodes, one on the ethic of Cryonics and one on the future of Alternate Energy, are actually live recordings of two panels Stephen and I were on at ConCarolinas back in June. Lively discussions, both.

No comments: