Welcome to my worlds!

I'm James Maxey, author of fantasy and science fiction. My novels include the science fantasy Bitterwood Saga (4 books) the Dragon Apocalypse Saga (4 books), numerous superhero novels including Nobody Gets the Girl and the Lawless series, the steampunk Oz sequel Bad Wizard, and my short story collections, There is No Wheel and Jagged Gate. This website is focused exclusively on writing. At my second blog, Jawbone of an Ass, I ramble through any random topic that springs to mind, occasionally touching on religion and politics and other subjects polite people are sensible enough not to discuss in public. If you'd like to get monthly updates on new releases, as well as preview chapters and free short stories, join my newsletter!




Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Speculative fiction event, Bitterwood at Smashwords

This Thursday, 11-11, I'll be at the Barnes and Noble at New Hope Commons in Durham, NC for a science fiction discussion scheduled for 7pm. A ton of other writers will be there; I'm a bit unclear on the format, exactly, but come on out if you're in the area.

Now that I've got the Bitterwood novels all converted over for Kindle, I'm tackling converting them on Smashwords. This is a site that makes books available for nearly all reading devices and books listed in the premium catalog are available on the Barnes and Noble website, which is my real target. Alas, my battle to convert to the epub format is hitting some snags. I'm following the Smashwords style guidelines, but still getting unpredictable results. Still, right now I've got a version of Bitterwood up that is actually very readable on my Android, so I'll go ahead and plug it though I may tweak it further. My understanding is that, if you buy a book on Smashwords, you can download any revised versions, which I don't think is true on the Kindle. But, I may be speaking in ignorance; I'm still figuring out all this out. If you want to take a peek at the book on Smashwords, here's the link. In theory, just about every reading device on the market should have a format on this site that it can use.

Once I've got the formatting figured out completely, I'll try to get the book listed in the premium catalog. I'll post my progress here.

No comments: